How to remove your menstrual cup?
To properly remove your menstrual cup, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap.
- Grab the cup at the bottom and squeeze it gently to break the vacuum. If you can't reach the cup well, push a little (as you would on the toilet), then grab the cup.
- Press and squeeze the cup slightly whilst rocking it up and down a little, whilst pulling it down. DO NOT pull the stem; this is only intended to make it easier to reach the bottom of the cup.
- NB: Keep the cup straight as you remove it so you don't spill.
- When you have removed the cup completely, empty it in the toilet an clean it.
I cannot remove my menstrual cup. What do I do?
The first few times it can be difficult to remove your menstrual cup. If this is the case, try not to panic. Your cup can't get lost or get stuck.
The tips below can help you to remove your cup to make easier:
- Relax! When you're tense, your pelvic floor muscles also tighten, making it harder to remove the cup.
- Do you find yourself unable to relax? Then go do something that causes distraction, for example surfing the internet or watching television. Also a hot shower can help you relax better. Then try again.
- Gently press your lower abdomen, just above your pubic bone. This prevents tightening of the pelvic floor muscles. Many gynecologists do this during examinations.
- Take a position that is comfortable for you, for example with one leg on the toilet or squatting in the shower. It often helps if you a little squeeze, as we described above.
- Wait at least an hour after you wake up before trying to remove your menstrual cup. Gravity often helps to lower the cup slightly.
If the above tips do not work, please contact us or call/visit a doctor.
Help, removing my menstrual cup is painful!
If removing your menstrual cup hurts, these could be possible causes:
- You are not relaxng enough. Relax!
- The vacuum is not broken properly. Try again calmly. Practice makes perfect.
- You accidentally pull it at the stem. Break the vacuum by squeezing the cup.
- The cup is too rigid. Try a softer cup.