Menstrual cup does not open: possible causes
If your cup does not open properly, this can have several causes:
- You use a folding technique that doesnt allow the cup to open properly.
- The cup is too big.
- You are too tense. If your pelvic floor muscles are tense, the cup will not be able to open properly.
- The cup is too rigid or too soft for you
- You haven't insterted the cup too deep or not deep enough.
- You are a new user and might need some more practice!
9 tips for opening your menstrual cup
Below are 9 tips that make it easier to open up the cup.
1. Different folding method
2. Rotate or wiggle
Rotate the cup or wiggle it slightly. Sometimes it can also help to take a few steps or rock your hips.
Choose a smaller size. When purchasing, it is ideal to choose a company where you immediately receive two cups for the price of one, so that you can try both sizes. Some women can even use both sizes depending on the time in their cycle.
Do you find yourself too tense? Then go do something relaxing or take a warm shower. Then try again.
5. Soft Cup
Is your cup so stiff that it won't open? Then go for a softer cup.
6. Cold water
Do you already have a soft cup? Hold the cup under the cold tap before insertion. This makes it open better.
7. Cup height
Experiment with the height at which you insert the cup.
Try inserting the cup in different positions, for example squatting (possibly in the shower) or with one foot on the edge of the toilet.
9. Practice, Practice, Practice
Don't give up too quickly, just keep practicing! It sometimes takes a while before you get the hang of using the cup, so wait a few periods. You will see that it will get a lot better after that!